Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 75 - That shirt

This morning was THAT morning. This morning was THAT day. 4 years ago I followed my then girlfriend, now wife, into the Banana republic downtown. I drifted over the reduced price selection and there found a shirt that I loved. I tend to gravitate toward American West influenced styles. When I saw the strips, double pockets and buttons, I knew instantly the shirt was for me. The price, twice as nice. 20 dollars marked down from 50. Only one problem. It was in a large and it was the only size they had. I tried it on and I looked terrible in it. I looked like a fat guy in a tight shirt. But, I said to myself, one day I'm going to lose this weight and I'll be able to wear this shirt. So, I purchased the shirt and into the closet it went. Ever so often when I was feeling skinny or less fat, I would try it on and time after time the mirror just brought disappointment. The mirror doesn't lie. Back into the closet it went.

This morning was one of those mornings when you realize that you should have done laundry, like two weeks ago! I didn't have much to choose from and then I gave a second glance into my closet. There in the back, the last hanger, was the shirt. The shirt I had been waiting 4 years to wear. The shirt that I couldn't let go of. The shirt that had been the reminder of years of failing to live up to fitness goals. I took the shirt off its hanger, stood in front of the mirror and.....seriously, what a moment. What universe am I in? A Banana republic size large is actually a tad big on me. But, besides that moot point. I looked great in the shirt and the shirt looked great on me. I tucked that bad boy into my jeans and stepped out into the sunshine. When I finally saw my wife today at lunch she said, "You're wearing that shirt! Oh, my God. You look so skinny"! Yup, it was THAT day today. A beautiful one indeed.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. That is just so awesome. I have some of those things gong on. the list of when I get it together I am going to do this. I, in fact, just like you held onto a few shirts for years (18) and you know what I am glad I did. They are still beautiful and waited for me.

    Thanks for sharing this. Good stuff.

    Go Team Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what it's all about man. Picture!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats.
    But picture please, hello!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a real symbol of your achievements. Good job man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I've got a shirt I've been hanging onto for about 5 years now that I'm hoping will fit once this is all said and done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete