Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 17 - Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Ah, Ireland. The picture above was taken on Claire Island off the west coast of Ireland on our Honeymoon in '06. I was also on the Emerald Isle in '00 where I toured the country with my Uncle. It's a magic place and being Irish, my family has carried a healthy dose of Irish pride for as long as I can remember.
So, it is on this day where it is every good Irishman's duty to go out and drink. Guinness, whisky, wine, what-have-you...and, I've been known to celebrate in the past rather liberally. When I announced to certain parties that I was planning on not touching the stuff for 90 days, then inevitably came the light bulb over their fine little heads, "But, you're not drinking on St. Patrick's Day?!?!?". Shock, Horror, Disgrace. Well....
I went to two bars tonight. Yes, one drink wasn't going to kill me. No, one Guinness is not bad for you. In fact it's the lowest calorie non-light beer on the planet. Nope, one shot of whisky wouldn't set me back. But, no thanks. I'm not drinking. It's not about one sip. It's about the discipline. 90 days of discipline to prepare for the thousand days afterward. Sacrifice. The Irish certainly are no strangers to that and this Irishman most certainly isn't either. Thanks to Joe, Brian, Amanda, and special guest JD, helping me celebrate alcohol free. Slainte!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, this year you're going out for a different kind of six-pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you and good for the friends you have chosen for being on the team that is rooting for the 1000 days and not a single night

    You are a real inspiration with your embrace of discipline and following the plan.

    GO Team GO

    ReplyDelete