Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 3 - Sacrifice

I felt a bit dazed today at certain times as I tried to eat my half portions as slowly as I could. I kept mindful of the PCP goals and sacrifices we have to make in order to reach our peak condition. When 7pm finally came around I made my way to the gym and again relished the quick and focused work out that revitalized me and left me strained as I struggled with that one last sit up.
I gathered my things and walked down the hall where I ran into Jose. He's part of the late night cleaning crew and we usually chat about football, as he supports Barcelona, and I, Manchester United. We gossip about results, players, goals and the latest manager to get sacked. He helps me with my broken Spanish and I with his broken English. But today I mentioned my son and then asked if he had children, "Two", he said, "They are in El Salvador with my wife". We talked about our jobs and he explained how he worked 14 hour a day in order to send enough back home so his wife and two daughters could live in a gang free neighborhood and have a chance a better future. "I see them once a year", he said as he leaned over to show me their picture. There on his cell phone was a fuzzy low resolution picture of two smiling girls and his wife. "Muy bonita!", I said. We shook hands for the first time and told him how much I admired his sacrifice and yelled "Buenas Noches" as I walked through the atrium and out the door.
As I crossed the dark parking lot to my car. I thought of his sacrifice to his family and then I realized how I had not thought of the PCP for a whole 20 minutes today. The time I was talking to Jose. I drove home, with the knowledge I'd be able to kiss my wife and my son, humbled. Sacrifice. So small, like only eating half a plate of your food. So large, like moving alone thousands of miles away to support your family. I stay mindful of the difference and thankful for being reminded.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing story. Really puts things into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Abby. An amazing story that puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete