Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 19 - My barbaric yawp

Yesterday I was laughing and whimpering. Today I was sounding my barbaric yawp across the empty treadmills of the gym. With the weather on the East coast approaching spring, the gym empties out much sooner than in the winter weather. That makes a late attendee such as myself very happy. I'm able to walk in and actually turn off the 10 TVs that are blaring a jumble of nonsense. I love a quiet gym. To actually hear your body in motion. To concentrate on the movement. To get lost, not in a TV show, but within your own will and motivation to complete the next rep.
An empty gym also gives one freedom to express the sounds that leap out of the body while working out. I was roaring in between sets. Grunting and speaking to myself. Counting out loud and trying not think to far ahead. And I yawped a proud yawp and thought of old Walt Whitman and then about what I'd be eating for dinner. Angel hair spaghetti, buffalo, and spinach. But...just...20...more...push ups. YAWP!!!
On the way home I rolled down the window, put on the new Massive Attack, and took a deep breath of the cool air. I thought about Sunday. The PCP "rest" day where I only have to do 1000 jumps of the rope. Ahhh, only 1000. That's wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. I love that PCPers first grunt a lot and then eat a lot of delicious things.

    I like Hope Sandoval singing with Massive Attack. Did you like the album?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lili, Yes, I really like the new album. It has a much more organic feel. And a little Hope Sandoval never hurts, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad the word "yawp" is still in our language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for the Massive Attack/Sade collaboration.

    ReplyDelete